Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Gift of Water

In the previous 46 days leading up to Easter--more commonly known as Lent--I elected to drink nothing but water.  That is to say I DRANK nothing but water--I ate normally.  This was not exactly a way to improve my health, though I am sure skipping coffee, alcoholic beverages, sugar free sodas, etc. probably had a net positive effect on my health.  (I won't argue that there aren't health benefits to coffee and wine--they have been documented.)  My motivation was something much simpler and profound.

For years I have followed the music career of Christian rock/alternative band "Jars of Clay."  I was privileged and delighted to see them live and in person at the Alaska State Fair a few years ago.  It was there I learned of "Blood/Water Mission"  http://www.bloodwatermission.com/.  Basically it is a grass roots organization that helps some of the poorest villages in Africa provide clean drinking water in an effort to stem the tide of AIDS, as well as improve the health of the people.  Mostly they dig wells, but also provide small water pumps, and I imagine other services.  A startling fact that $1.00 will provide clean water for an African for one year inspired me to do presentations to the kids at my church about how a very small thing can make a very big difference in at least some parts of the world.

Last year my daughter and I gave up every beverage but water for two weeks--we drank nothing but TAP water.  (Bottled water takes a terrible toll on the environment.)  The money we saved from not purchasing other beverages we sent to the organization, which I will do with the money saved this year.  During the course of the 46 days of the "Forty Days of Water" fast this year I chose not to drink other beverages on the Sundays of Lent, which is technically allowed, since Sundays are not technically Lent.  It just seemed easier not to drink them but not because I am either righteous or stoic.  Honestly, it wasn't that difficult, though there were countless opportunities to turn down offers for other beverages, and most of the people around me simply forgot I was doing this.

While the initial intent was to raise money for Blood/Water Mission, what resulted for me was a keener awareness and appreciation for the gift of water, and how blessed we are in the United States to have clean, safe water literally at our fingertips when we turn on our kitchen or bathroom taps.  1 in 7 people throughout the world do not have this luxury.  In Alaska there seems to be an abundance of water as the state sports over a million lakes, thousands of glaciers, and a reliable snowpack that feeds countless mountain streams.  Anchorage's water has often won awards for the best tasting water in the country.

Interestingly enough, because I wasn't drinking any other beverages, I sometimes became dehydrated and failing to heed the sage advice to consume 8 glasses of water daily, would result in headaches which would most often be remedied by simply turning on the faucet.  It is something we take for granted, and so, by extension, we tend to waste this resource which will become more precious as the earth warms and population increases.  Wars for oil may one day become wars for water--a truly frightening thought.

In the recent past I usually took a daily shower.  Now, I try to take one every other day.  On cold Alaskan mornings I would often stay in the shower to warm and wake myself up.  Now, I usually play a short song on an ipod dock in my bathroom and try to finish before the song ends--which keeps the shower to about three minutes.  I have short hair so rinsing out shampoos and conditioners isn't much of a problem.  I also live in a small industrial type warehouse with excellent water pressure. The biggest use of water however is not baths or showers, but flush toilets.  A couple years ago our leaking toilet had to be replaced and we chose a low flow type which uses significantly less water.  While it has been difficult to implement the rule "if it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down", doing so even once in awhile can add up to significant water savings (and money saving as well!)  Another benefit of drinking lots of water--besides the obvious health benefits is that urine, being less concentrated, hardly colors the toilet bowl water at all, making it easier to allow it to "mellow."

So, will conserving water in a water abundant state like Alaska make any real difference in the world? I have to believe it will.  I learned from my husband  that we actually sell water to India, though I never found out in what form.  At one time our former governor Wally Hickel proposed floating large chunks of glaciers to California to provide that state with more water, though I don't think we are currently floating glaciers to India.  The day may come when we actually do so, but if the glaciers continue to melt, who knows.

As a person who has tried to lose weight in the past I am finding that simply not buying food I will not consume (despite my best intentions), such as large Costco sized quantities of fresh vegetables, saves me both money and the shame of throwing them away when they go uneaten.  Having a large freezer has been an excuse to hoard excess food, which too often goes to waste because of freezer burn or the unappetizing prospect of having to eat large quantities of one food because buying 10 boxes or bags of it on a "clearance price" was such a deal.  My goal is to eliminate the use of my freezer, or at least keep it unused and unplugged unless an abundant harvest at dipnetting time yields pounds and pounds of fresh salmon.

Becoming water aware during the "Forty Days of Water" campaign has increased my awareness of the overabundance of many things in my life--a closet crammed with excess clothing, a sewing trailer bulging with fabric, craft items, things too numerous to count or even acknowledge.  And so, as part of my S.T.R.E.N.G.T.H initiatives I have begun a slow and steady process to lessen not just my body clutter, but the clutter all around me.  Sometimes I dream of having the "Clean House" folks descend on my place and help me achieve this task in a week or so.  I know that isn't going to happen, but each day I strive to "lighten my load."  Today I am taking a few bags of gently used clothing to a resale shop and a few more to a thrift store.

And this all started with a simple glass of water.....

No comments:

Post a Comment