Wednesday, July 28, 2010

En vino, veritas

Okay, I probably have the spelling wrong, but basically this translates to "in wine, there is truth."  Tonight I spent several hours with some of the people who are involved in the community organizing ministry of St. Anthony parish.  It was the occasion of seven years since the inception of this ministry and some of the people who have been there since the beginning were in attendance.

The truth that is in the wine is how much I love these folks, some I have known for years and some for only a few months.  One of those long timers is my friend, Donna, who I met over 26 years ago when we were pregnant with our sons, my first, her last.  We reminsced about not only our involvement with this particular ministry but how we collaborated on a variety of projects, some serious, some anything but.  Perhaps the most hilarious was the time about 20 of the women of our parish dressed as priests for a Halloween party, much to the dismay and annoyance of our associate pastor at the time.

The gift of a life, even of 52 years, is the great number of friends that God has given me, people who sometimes know my soul better than I do.  Donna is one of those friends.  We have been through much in the 26 years that we have been friends, but what is amazing and for what I am so truly grateful is that we are still friends.  She has taught me so much, been a wonderful example of mother, sister, friend, fellow Christian, fellow seeker of truth.  I have been blessed to be present as two of her grandchildren have come into the world, and also to offer a word or two as her dear husband left it.  Laughter, tears, joy, pain, these are the true treasures of friendship.  Their weight and eternal value cannot be underestimated.  She has inspired, challenged and instructed me, much like a big sister.

On occasions such as this evening it is good to remember those who have taken us to places we couldn't have imagined years ago, not so much the physical locations, but the deep recesses within each of us where we are called to become more than we presently are, to stretch ourselves to embrace change or adversity, to make room for others and whatever they bring to us.  It is only in opening ourselves to this summoning of strength within us that we grow as human beings.  I have learned that while it seems to be easier initially to run from such challenges, to retreat to the familiar sense of self that we have, it leaves us weaker, smaller, less engaged and defensive.  Growth is painful, but more painful is stagnation, status quo, an illusion of power that we never actually possessed.

And now, 15 minutes have passed.  I am tired.  En vino, veritas, and en vino whatever is the latin word for sleepiness.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment